Skip to main content

Internship.

A lot of things have been going on. I just did the national exams and got the results already last week. Considering what I've been through lately, I think I did a pretty good job. I got a not-bad-at-all scores. And I can't believe my physics score is higher than biology. I never understand physics since grade 7... I've been taught by 5 different physics teachers at school and I finally started to understand it about 2 months before national exams, thanks to my uncle who taught me.

And I just finished my internship lately. I went to SeaW****d Indonesia (sorry, I have to censor that so this writing won't come up on google :P) There were 2 options at first, that and a zoo. But then after handing the cv for quite some time there weren't answers from both sides. And the last option for me was to go to an animal shelter. I wasn't really happy with the idea of me going to an animal shelter because I am allergic to cats (and yes, I do have a cat) and I never really interact with dogs before so it kind of scared me. But I thought it's better than going to a place that has no animals in it.


Then hard times kicked in and I decided that I don't want to do the internship. I really didn't want to do it. Then the next day I was told that I got the internship at SeaW****d. I would have been really excited if I got the news before I decided not to do the internship. It would have been a lot easier if I didn't get accepted anywhere. So it was like, I didn't want to go, but I didn't want to not have a story to tell. I didn't want to be the only one who doesn't have to do the presentation while my friends have something to tell. My first day started on a Monday, and the Friday before that was the hardest. I wanted to go but at the same time I was scared, not scared of the internship, of something else. But in the end, I decided to do it anyway. I thought to myself, even if the internship sucks, I still got to see fishes. Oh, and I got accepted at the zoo as well.


First day of internship finally came. I got to SeaW****d too early. And I got a text personally from the zoo telling that I got accepted and where should I go and stuff. First day was quite horrifying because I don't know where would they put me. I was like "please don't put me in the office, please don't, don't." And I almost got put in the office because it wasn't stated in my resumé where should I go. I was like "you know what, if I work in the office, I won't come again tomorrow." But thankfully, they put me in the education...oh I forgot, education group? education guide? Well, anyway, it was in the educational part. I didn't know what that is, but as long as I didn't stay in the office, whatever that was, good enough.


And so I was under this woman named kak Dewi. She then showed me around, introducing me to places like "this is the office, this is the blablabla" and we went downstairs and she introduced me to the EG team. I remember my first day, I got introduced to kak Nur the supervisor, then kak Albert, then there was kak Dina, kak Alif, kak Robby, and kak Tya in the library. There were quite a lot of people during my first day (and I thought some people weren't that friendly, but I won't tell you who :P) And so kak Dewi left and I was like "what am I supposed to do?" Since it was my first day, all I did was to look around. I remember kak Nur told me to come at 8.30 for the briefing and I was supposed to come home at 5.30. First day was pretty bad. All I did was standing for hours! And kesana kemari from tanks to tanks. I observed the sharks cos I frikkin love sharks.


It was super tiring. I've never had to stand for 3 hours so it was a new experience. And there was this security guard whom I thought was friendly, but then he asked for my facebook account on my first day and I thought that was creepy. I talked to the employees there and asked a few questions. I was pretty much quiet. I was super happy when it came to going home. I just can't wait for that warm shower, and I barely look forward to showering. The traffic was just lovely. If I were a pregnant woman ready to give birth, I would have given birth in the car already. My legs hurt so bad. It was super tiring.

Second day was better. I remember being asked by kak Dewi about the animals in the touchpool. Thankfully, I have remembered the animals already. I don't know what to write, really, anyway, it doesn't matter how bad the job was, I got to see fishes and sea turtles. Oh, at first there were like these 3 big sea turtles but then they got moved and changed by these 5 adorable baby sea turtles. I was taught how to operate the sound, even though really, it was just pressing buttons, but it was better than nothing.

There wasn't really much to remember the next days. Mostly I spent my days in the touchpool area, near the starfish/bamboo sharks area. Telling people to fuck off if they touched the starfish the wrong way. Just kidding, but sometimes I feel like telling them that for not reading the sign before touching. But really, I told people not to pick the starfish above water and all. I got to know more people as well. I met kak Tiara, kak Abai, and kak Yoan (I'm calling everyone with kak here :P), and I got to know some of the cleaners. During the first 3 days, I didn't know if I'm able to continue until the second week. I thought that I'm going to end it at the end of the first week. But then, I forgot whether it was kak Nur or kak Dewi, anyway, one of them told me I got the chance to go to a curatorial training on my second week. And so, I decided I HAVE to make till the next week.

I really don't know how to put this experience into words. There were just so much things going on. So let me just write about the day I went to the curatorial area. I got the chance to go to the food preparation room and see how fishes were being prepared for fishes to eat. That's quite confusing. Fish for fish. Fishes are cannibals. There were kak Juned and kak Agus in the room, preparing food like unfreezing the freezing dead fishes. The dead fishes, they weren't that smelly. The squids, ugh, smelled so bad. I met another intern too, she was in uni, though. There weren't really much to tell in the food prep, it was just food cutting. 


Then I followed kak Agus to the quarantine place. The place is for injured animals, or animals that just got sent in, or animals that are about to be sent away. There were baby sea turtles, smaller than the ones in touchpool, and they were super adorable. I wish I could bring one home. But then I don't know if I can provide them with sea water. I can give them salted water, though. There were also the big sea turtles, arapaimas and all those giant fish, piranhas, basically the same species as the ones displayed. Oh, and there were iguanas and turtles and crocs and caged otters. Those otters shouldn't be caged, really... Otters make cute noises, at first I thought the sound came from birds, even though there were no birds... Basically, I was just following kak Agus around, giving food and clean the cages.

After the quarantine place, we went back to food prep room and there was nothing else for me to do so I showered. The fish smell sticked to my shirt. Showering for me was kind of...troublesome. I need to prepare the clothes and all those showering stuff, and it took me a long time to get ready, not because I showered long, but because I need to fold my clothes and all. I hate showering outside my home. And so I just finished everything from showering to putting my clothes back in, and just when I was about to go out, one of the curatorial staff said to me, 
"have you dived yet?" 
"no, I haven't"
"put this on (he gave me a wetsuit)"
"showered already?"
"it's okay."
And so that was it. I just showered and just when I've got everything ready, I got offered to dive in the main aquarium. I was really thankful he offered me to dive. It was just funny how I just finished showering, then went diving, then showered again. I didn't even know his name then (I later found out his name the very next day after I dived :P), so it was really nice of him. And the first wet suit that I put on was really ripped so I had to change it, and the second time I put a wetsuit on, I got it upside down. 

Oh, I met kak Adhi, he was an observer there. Back in the quarantine place he asked whether I've dived or no, and he said if I go diving he'll accompany me. And so, when I was in the diving place, he was there. They were super duper nice. First I practiced my breathing in the small pool, and I did okay. I thought diving there would be scary because I've never dived before and the fishes were gigantic compared to the ones I've seen during snorkeling. And I was partially blind without glasses and I wasn't allowed to use contact lens. 

And so I entered the actual aquarium with kak Adhi. It was awful! I got no control and when we reached down my ears hurt like crazy. I asked him to go up and he taught me to control the pressure. Still, didn't work, I sucked. But then we continued the dive, he took pictures of me when I realised someone was behind me. I later found out it was kak Soleh (the curator whom I didn't know the name). And halfway I realised that kak Adhi was no longer there, I was now with kak Soleh. My ears still felt crappy but not as hurt. And it wasn't as scary as I thought. My vision was blurry. I dived for about 15 minutes and the good thing was I didn't panic. See, I've learned something from nat-geo wild about not panicking :P

The next days were pretty much the same. Telling people "let me shove you underwater and tell me if you can breathe." when someone pick up the starfish out of water. No, just kidding, even though I really wanted to do that. Watched feeding shows and all. I never get tired of watching shark feeding show. And until now whenever I see the time, I'd be like "oh, it's feeding show for the main aquarium" "oh, the sharks are being fed right now."

And even when people said it's kinda useless for me to be there, I strongly disagree. Being there takes my mind off the thoughts that are killing me. I was happy because it's been a long time since I wasn't bothered with my own thoughts. And one of the most important thing is that I've made new friends. Everyone was amazing. And thanks to social media, I still maintain my friendship with some of them. 

And so, I'd like to thank each one of them (even though they're not going to read this, unless I tell them to :P) Thanks to kak Dewi for saving me from working in the office. Thanks to kak Dina who's with me from the start, taking me lunch with her and all. Thanks to kak Albert for answering my questions when I asked, and I remember my first day kak Alif thought I was his sister. And thank you, thank you, thank you to kak Tya, kak Tiara, kak Robby, kak Yoan, kak Alif, kak Abai, and kak Nur. Basically I'd like to thank them all, the EG group, and all the curators and cleaners for just being there. I'm really grateful I'm surrounded by nice people. 


And this experience may not be interesting for you, well it's an internship, what do you expect? But, it really means a lot to me. It was a great experience and my life would be different if I chose to stay at school doing counseling session and go to the psychologist. It's not that I can befriend the psychologist. Anyway, I'm really grateful this experience made me realise that there are a lot of amazing people out there whom I haven't known yet. I still have a long journey to go, and I don't know what am I talking..........

And so, yeah, that's pretty much it. 

Bye, love, love, from meee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ROLLOVER REACTION NEW SHADES REVIEW + SWATCHES

Untuk pertama kalinya saya, aku, gue.. enaknya apa ya. Saya terlalu formal, gue terlalu informal, jadi aku aja kali ya. Untuk pertama kalinya aku akan nulis blog post dengan bahasa Indonesia. Mungkin seterusnya setiap aku review produk lokal aku akan memakai bahasa Indonesia yang tidak sesuai dengan kaidah yang baik dan benar. Beberapa bulan terakhir aku lebih tertarik dengan lipstick lokal dibanding lipstick brand luar. Wish list udah panjang karena tahun ini banyak banget brand lokal yang ngeluarin liquid lipstick. Rollover Reaction sudah ada sejak bulan Maret tahun ini, tapi baru kesampean nyoba bulan lalu meskipun dari awal keluar udah naksir. Baru-baru ini RR release 3 shades baru yang bertema 90's. Karena lagi cinta dengan lipstick bernuansa coklat, langsung deh spontan ambil semuanya. Packaging Cinta banget sama liquid lipstick yang packagingnya persegi. Lipsticknya dikemas dalam frosted glass dengan doe-foot applicator dan cap hitam. Designnya simple (both box dan

The Balm Meet Matt(e) Hughes FAKE vs REAL

I recently fell in love with The Balm's products especially their liquid lipstick, Meet Matte Hughes. Quick review, it's one of the best liquid lipsticks out there. I love liquid lipsticks that have mousse-y texture and doesn't suck the moisture out of my lips. Although it doesn't last as long as some liquid lipsticks I own, it's very comfortable on the lips. The only problem I have is that a lot of online shops sell fake products and claim it as original products. Me being reckless, I fell in the trap and got myself a fake lipstick. This writing is meant to show the difference between the fake and the real Meet Matte Hughes, and to share some tips based on personal experience on how to avoid getting fake products. During the holiday I purchased The Balm Committed in an online shop on Instagram (IG: cathydolla now seoulshopping - this online shop changed their name 3 times since I purchased the fake lipstick ). I've been eyeing on Committed and Adoring and dec

TheBalm Meet Matt(e) Hughes Review + Swatches

One of the comfiest liquid lipsticks I have ever tried. Period. I first stumbled upon this lipstick months ago. The first Meet Matt(e) Hughes I purchased was the shade Charming. At first I wasn't really into it so I decided to give it away. It wasn't until last month-when I laid my eyes on the newer shades-that I realised how much I love this liquid lipstick.  Packaging The Balm's products have the best packaging. How can you stay away from the eye-catching, Retro packaging. Plus, they all have cute names. The picture of Matt and his date is too cute. The tube itself is transparent with a doe foot applicator. The only con of this lipstick would be messy, look at the wand below. Although I never experience it, some people complain that the products would leak out of the tube. Texture It has a creamy texture which I really like. I prefer a mousse-y formula as it doesn't dry out your lips. Even though it doesn't feel as dry as say Colourpop, you still